Thursday, January 07, 2010

"Will Ed Run in North Dakota?"

Darryl Holman (Hominid Views):
Senator Ed Schultz (D-ND)? How cool would that be?

Ed confronted the issue directly today by indirectly denying he will run:

“I am flattered and I am honored and I can’t say I’m even considering it right now. I worked – as many people know – very hard to get where I am in my career, to go from Fargo to 30 Rock is a dream come true for any broadcaster. I’ve invested a lot of years, a lot of time and effort to use the microphone as an opportunity to advocate for the middle class in this country. I’m in a different place than politics right now. I think I serve things as good as I can right here, right now.

“So, we’re a long way from any consideration…we’re a long way from any kind of decision…the race is going to be an intriguing one, no doubt about that, but at this point, I’m not even considering – and we’re a long way from that.”

I’ll take that as a solid “maybe.”

If Mr. Schultz runs for Senate, it might make the difference between 59 and 60 Senators caucusing with the Democrats. You know, just like Sen. Al Franken’s Senate bid did in 2008. Schultz would be doing far more for the middle class in that scenario than he is able to do now.

If Schultz doesn’t run, North Dakota will be lost to the Democrats. And Obama’s agenda will be greatly diminished by the Republican’s greater potential for obstructionism.

No comments: