Saturday, March 07, 2009

P-I couple featured on NBC News piece, 'Jobless in Seattle' (with video)

The Big Blog (Seattle P-I):
It's a surreal experience -- to go from reporting the news to being the news.

The story of P-I reporter Vanessa Ho and her husband, P-I photographer Dan DeLong, leads an NBC Nightly News piece with a grim title: "Jobless in Seattle."

Williams introduces the story like this:

In a city that for a time seemed invincible, a home to booming companies like Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks. But now Seattle, like the rest of the country, is really feeling the pain of this recession.

DeLong and Ho were in the middle of remodeling their house when they learned that the P-I was up for sale and both their paychecks were in jeopardy.

"They interviewed us as a family that had invested in living here, with our incomplete remodel as visual proof," Ho wrote in an e-mail. "I was an awful interviewee - inarticulate, nervous. I said, 'I don't know what I'm going to do' about 20 times!"

The segment airs on television tonight at 6. Watch it online here.

No comments: