Thursday, June 26, 2008

"FISA Delayed until July 8"

mcjoan (Kos):
It's a temporary reprieve, not a victory, but Senators Dodd and Feingold have worked with Durbin and Reid to delay the FISA vote until July 8.
Feingold's statement (via e-mail):

"I'm pleased we were able to delay a vote on FISA until after the July 4th holiday instead of having it jammed through. I hope that over the July 4th holiday, Senators will take a closer look at this deeply flawed legislation and understand how it threatens the civil liberties of the American people."It is possible to defend this country from terrorists while also protecting the rights and freedoms that define our nation."

Dodd's statement (via e-mail:)

"I’m pleased that consideration of the FISA Amendments Act has been delayed until after the 4th of July recess. I urge my colleagues to take this time to listen to their constituents and consider the dangerous precedent that would be set by granting retroactive immunity to the telecommunications companies that may have engaged in President Bush’s illegal wiretapping program.

"When and if FISA does come back to the Senate floor, I will offer my amendment to strip the retroactive immunity provision out of the bill. I implore my colleagues to support the rule of law and join me in voting against retroactive immunity."

The Feingold/Dodd amendment to strip immunity from the bill will be voted on, as will a couple of other amendments. As of now, I don't have complete information on them.

So here's a fantastic opportunity to talk to your Senators, when they're home for the most patriotic of all holidays, about what this bill means to you as a constitutent. If they're having town meetings, please attend and bring up the bill, or try to schedule individual meetings with them.

And, if you have the time and the ink and the paper available, print a copy of the bill (114 pages, pdf), highlight the salient parts (like the WMD section) and ask them to please read the bill, and then decide if it's really something they want to have on their permanent record as having supported.

It's a longshot, but it's the only one we've got.

No comments: