Friday, October 19, 2007

"Dodd: Good News on a Bad Day"

Booman:
If you are tired of losing, today has not been a good day. First we learned that Sen. Jay Rockefeller bent over and asked Cheney to do him sans lube, then we lost the S-CHIP override. But there is good news.
Armando started it by encouraging Sen. Chris Dodd to filibuster the FISA bill if it includes immunity for telecommunications corporations.

Senator Dodd, do what you must, including a filibuster, to stop this evisceration of the separation of powers, of civil liberties, of honesty, fairness and justice. Implore your Dem colleagues, especially your fellow Presidential candidates in the Senate, to join you in this fight for the very principles that are the foundation of the Constitution and our Nation.

This was picked up by Atrios, who recommended that Dodd 'put a hold' on the legislation.

Dodd’s uniquely placed to do something. He isn’t a current frontrunner, but he is respected enough and enough of an insider that he can get on the teevee a bit. He has made these issues a relatively central part of his campaign. And, what do you know, he’s actually in the Senate.

He can put a hold on this, and then take the case to the public. I don’t know why Democrats think they need to stand with Mr. 24%, but it’s time for other Democrats to make them defend why they feel the need to do so.

Next came Jane Hamsher, who amplified the message and provided the contact information.

A few moments ago I got the followning email from Sen. Dodd.

Martin,

It's been a busy day, but I wanted take a moment and let you know that I have decided to place a "hold" on legislation in the Senate that includes amnesty for telecommunications companies that enabled the President's assault on the Constitution by providing personal information on their customers without judicial authorization.

I said that I would do everything I could to stop this bill from passing, and I have.

It's about delivering results -- and as I've said before, the FIRST thing I will do after being sworn into office is restore the Constitution.

But we shouldn't have to wait until then to prevent the further erosion of our country's most treasured document.

That's why I am stopping this bill today.

I've gotta run, but please visit my campaign website for more details.

http://www.chrisdodd.com/fisa

Chris

There is a reason that more and more bloggers are leaning towards supporting Chris Dodd, and it isn't just because we all love Tim Tagaris. It's because he is willing to put action behind his words.

No comments: