Saturday, September 22, 2007

"John Edwards Fundraiser in Seattle"

dinazina on Washblog (front page) with photos:
9-19-07 - Several hundred people contributed $100 or more to the Edwards campaign to hear him speak at the Seattle Westin. JRE did not disappoint.
For me it was a first impression. Edwards is a powerful speaker in person, appearing passionate, sincere, and comfortable.

He received a burst of applause after many of his statements, but this wasn't a pep rally. The mood was somber, even while applauding. What weighs heavily: our own government's continuing assault on reason, truth, peace, justice, civil liberties, science, and public health. We needed to hear Edwards address those issues, and he did.

Edwards' stump speech was about challenging giant corporations, righting injustices, and repairing the past 7 years' destruction.

"I will shut down Guantanamo my first day in office," he said. "Isn't it incredible a candidate for President of the U.S. has to make a point of declaring that he is against torture and detention without charges?"

JRE began by greeting the supporters as he entered the room. He held onto my hand for many seconds longer than I expected. I'm not gonna blather about his legendary dazzling smile, gaze, or firm handshake, let's move along...

I was a Dean supporter the last go-round, and learned a few lessons the hard way during that campaign season, my first as an activist. JRE was on my no-fly list because of his war authorization vote and contining defense of that decision, as was Kerry. Then of course I found myself obligated to work for both of them. You know the story.

I once thought I would not forgive Edwards for that issue. Since then he has reversed his position on Iraq.

He also mentioned Elizabeth several times, said she's doing fine, and reminded us that she wanted very much to continue their campaign after they received bad news of her cancer returning last spring. He said: I don't know about you, but I was pretty proud of her for confronting Ann Coulter like she did. Applause.

I counted about 260 on the check-in list, among them State Dem Chair Dwight Pelz, several legislators & candidates, my DFA & Kossak friend Mary Robinson, and former Washblogger Belltowner. Our friend Chad Lupkes, progressive activist, brought his laptop, presumably for liveblogging. The event was closed to the press, but photos and bloggers were okay.

Former State Dem Chair Paul Berendt spoke of his "excitement" at being a part of the JRE campaign. Attorney Jenny Durkin, chair of the WA JRE campaign, told the The Stranger: ""I think the number one difference between people who like Edwards a lot and people who are skeptical is those who have seen him in person and those who haven't."

Edwards was mobbed after the speech, of course.
I had worn my "Washington Pride" headpiece adorned with state symbols and a 2-inch Space Needle. I figured this might provoke a photo-op and smile.

I swear I don't remember this silly grin, but there it is.

Belltowner, whom you may remember was an Edwards fan from way back, asked me to get a shot of him with JRE, if possible. He waited patientlyfor his own photo-op. Then:

CAPTION CONTEST! What is Belltowner saying that provokes this look from JRE?
Maybe: "I'm the guy who sent you that autographed picture of me in my `Edwards 08' bike shorts"? Have at it! Sorry BT, we gotta have a little fun at your expense...

Here is a Daily Kos diary of the same event from "cleverdan" a young man who was won over:
John Edwards in Seattle


If not sincere, Edwards deserves an acting award and a medal for the fortitude to repeat, so passionately and defiantly, what he doesn't believe that will bring about the wrath of the most powerful interests.


Let's zoom in: This group seem to be literally starry-eyed! And I saw the same "dreamy" look on Mary's face that I used to when she sighed over Dean.

I'm not starry-eyed. No candidate is perfect. But I can't find one that is closer to my own concerns, who has a shot at winning.

An Edwards staffer urged us to consider doubling or tripling whatever we had paid for the event. "Get your spouse mad at you. I had to explain a $1000 check to my husband..."

We know Hillary and Obama are rolling in the money...and that effective 2-minute advert on CNN primetime must've cost plenty. The third quarter deadline is approaching.

So if you want to contribute (no amount is too small):
Mary Robinson's grassroots supporter page

From that page:

Why Edwards? Because he rejects neoliberalism. Because he preaches enlightened populism. Because he's running to the left. Because he would fight the amorality of the Market with the morality of progressivism. Because he opposes the Global War on Terror. Because he's getting better and bolder. Because he's capable of outrage. Because he's proud to be a progressive. Because he would win.
But one reason rises above all others: the stated and demonstrated rationale of his campaign is to fight inequality...

No comments: