Saturday, December 11, 2004

A Constituent Hears from Jim on Election Reform

My own email to my congressman on this subject still remains unaswered, but a Vashon Island resident I know writes the following: "I have in hand a response to the email query I sent to Jim McDermott in regard to my voter fraud concerns from this past election. In it he states that: “…valid questions have been raised about how balloting was carried out in several states. These concerns have been fueled , in part, by valid skepticism about voting machinery. Unfortunately, reports of ballot systems confusion, racial discrimination and voter intimidation have now been compounded by computer problems.” He goes on to say that he is cosponsoring the Voter Confidence and Increased Accessibility Act, which will amend the 2002 Help America Vote Act (obviously it needs some amending) and will “…require a voter-verified paper record of all votes cast in federal elections.” Do we feel better now?

No comments: